Thursday, February 28, 2008

William F. Buckley

Photobucket

I can't understand how neocons like Bill Kristol and David Brooks can so venerate William F. Buckley, and at the same time call someone like John Kerry an elitist. Buckley was the very definition of an elitist. But then again, putatively smart people can be remarkably obtuse.

I guess that's not much of a revelation, is it?

My father must have occasionally watched Firing Line when I was a child. None of the content sank in but I retain a mental image of Buckley semi-lounging in his chair on the set wearing expensive-looking loafers and silk socks, all handsome, reptilian languor, with a hint of a sneer on his lips.

I didn't agree with much of anything he said, but I'll say this for William F. Buckley: he died a great death. He lived to a respectably old age, retained his faculties, and died at his desk while writing. I can't think of a better way to go.

No comments: