Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Tsunami makes strange bedfellows

Am I the only one who is creeped out by the new pals-y relationship between Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush?

Naturally, the cause is wholly virtuous. Goes without saying.

I've just heard their ad on Air America Radio for about the tenth time today, and what I find myself wondering is, why did Clinton agree to this relationship? I assume most of us on the left side of US political life these days view the * family as a force for evil in the world. The fact that daddy was a less ruinous president than sonny doesn't make him a good one, nor does it make him an admirable person.

Surely Clinton could have found a way to do just as effective work on his own? The work of both men on behalf of the tsunami victims is to be honored. But is Clinton this hungry for approval from the same people who hounded him for eight years?

No comments: