Tuesday, September 18, 2007

What a better world it would be

if George Bush's disgusting policies elicited the same feverishly critical response from the left that the "tasering incident" has brought down on Senator Kerry's head for simply being present.

Senator Kerry has issued the following statement:
    "In 37 years of public appearances, through wars, protests and highly emotional events, I have never had a dialogue end this way. I believe I could have handled the situation without interruption, but again I do not know what warnings or other exchanges transpired between the young man and the police prior to his barging to the front of the line and their intervention. I asked the police to allow me to answer the question and was in the process of answering him when he was taken into custody. I was not aware that a taser was used until after I left the building. I hope that neither the student nor any of the police were injured. I regret enormously that a good healthy discussion was interrupted."
To be truthful, what first popped into my head when I saw the video and heard the kid yelling "Help me! Help me!" was "Help! Help! I'm being repressed!!" There was more than a little drama queen on display there, in my opinion.

The tasering seemed an over-the-top response, but I wasn't there. Nor were a lot of other people who have no problem pronouncing judgment based on fuzzy and incomplete video clips.

No comments: