Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Experience vs. character

I think Eric makes some excellent points in his discussion of experience and its impact on the success of a presidency.

I'd like to throw out one more idea on the subject. Experience is obviously only one factor in anyone's calculation as to whose candidacy they'll decide to support. The overriding factor for me is character, and character can only be judged over the long haul. It takes a long time on the public record to establish who you are and what you stand for.

Take, for example, Joe Biden's current grandstanding for the liberal left. Biden's late to this particular party, and anyone who's watched him dance around on the SFRC knows this. For the record, John Kerry took this position a long time ago, and though all proponents are heartily welcome, let's not pretend Biden's taking a brave stand here.

When I vote for a president I want to know well who that person is and what they are likely to support and promote once in office. For all his years in the Senate, I have no idea what kind of ideals Biden stands for. So in his case, experience doesn't prove much. And don't even get me started on what the public record proves about McCain's and Romney's characters.

No comments: